Wednesday, April 1, 2009

News For Nerds

I decided to submit my paper to a website called Slashdot. Their motto is "News for Nerds...", and if you've read my paper, well, enough said! They run news articles several times an hour about technology-related business events and innovations. From time to time they'll also pick up and run editorials and things like this. It's a good choice because it's a wide audience, and it's likely to be read by most of the people interested in the topic. It also happens to be the place where the argument I'm refuting gained a lot of popularity in the first place!

One thing I noticed this time around is the effect that my writing has on me while I'm writing it; I think paying attention to that can show me things about my writing I'm not aware of. I picked a topic that I had heard a lot about, was a big decision to be made by those in positions of responsibility, and something I really didn't know much about to begin with. My initial reading showed that most people familiar with the idea were strongly in favor of it. I disagreed, and so I assumed I was missing something important. The more I did research, the more I found that all the experiments and actual data were against the idea. It's a good sign that you've got strong sources and arguments when your research actually changes your initial perceptions. If it changes your mind, it can change someone else's too.

1 comment:

Lance Harper said...

Your research affected a lot the purpose of your paper. I'm no expert on the subject and have only a minimal understanding of how it really works but your paper was enough to explain it to me and convince me that your mode of thinking is probably right.