Thursday, April 2, 2009

Reflection: Crisis in Darfur

I could submit my issues paper to the Journal of Humanitarian Assistance. This journal publishes articles that are relevent to humanitarian policy and practice. My article tells of the lack of humanitarian aid that Darfur has recieved and also explains how the government of Sudan has recently expelled humanitarian aid. My paper has evidence of the lack of help that Darfur has recieved and will help spread awareness about the crisis. I think my paper would be both interesting and accessible to a general acedemic audience because it shows the importance of a serious problem that is currently occuring.

The issues paper was one that I really enjoyed writing and didn't have too hard of a time finding arguments and support for those claims. The outline for this paper was very effective. Because I made a very detailed outline that included all of the quotes I was going to use, writing the rough draft was easy. Also, Mrs. Cowley told us to just sit down and write our rough drafts, not worrying about making them perfect. I was able to complete my rough draft without all of the frustration and then go back and fix it after peer reviews. Splitting up the amount of time I spent on my paper and when things were due helped my writing be more effective. I also saw the importance of kairos in my paper since the crisis in Darfur is worsening everyday and I had to find articles that kept up with the war. Overall I think my writing improved a lot because of the detailed outline.

2 comments:

David Robinson said...

I think that the Journal of Humanitarian Assistance would truly be the best journal to send your paper to. I think talking about Darfur is a great paper, so i hope that your are able to publish your research.

Scott said...

This journal seems like the perfect fit for your paper. This is a really interesting topic and I think the readers of this journal would like to read your essay.